Thursday, April 10, 2008

One Great Conference



The Jubilee Jumbalaya Writers Conference and Book Fair in Houma may be small, but it is without a doubt the most fun of any conference I’ve ever attended (and at $25 a head, it’s also a steal). Because it’s so much fun, and because Molly Bolden—co-owner of Bent Pages Bookstore and one of the sponsors—is such a hoot, they never have trouble attracting scores of great writers.

Steve and I kicked off the weekend with dinner Friday night at a restaurant in a big old house overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway. The writing life doesn’t get much better than this: great food, a warm salt-laden breeze, and hours and hours spent talking and laughing with F. Paul Wilson, the incomparable, irrepressible Molly, Heather Graham and her ever-entertaining husband, Dennis, Hollywood screenwriter and novelist Alexandra Sokoloff, and more. If only I’d thought to bring my camera…

The conference itself was close to perfect. I did a session on the differences between thrillers and mysteries, and Steve and I did a joint session on writing with a partner. We spent most of the rest of the day listening to Alex talk about screenwriting, and I had so many lightbulb moments it was like a paparazzi attack on Britney Spears. I’ve spent this week going over the first half of DEADLIGHT, and hopefully now I’ve figured out what’s been bothering me about this book, and how to fix it. No matter how long you’ve been in this business, you can always get something out of a conference, especially one as wonderful and laid back as this one.

The booksigning went great, too; I don’t think I’ve ever sold so many books at a signing! Lots of people bought my entire Sebastian St. Cyr series. Here’s New Orleans writer Farrah Rochon, making another friend…



If you’re in the area next year, do plan to attend. I’ve already snapped up an invitation to come back.

12 comments:

Steve Malley said...

Sounds awesome!

Farrah Rochon said...

I agree, Candice, it was a great conference. Aspiring authors in the south Louisiana area are very lucky.

Shauna Roberts said...

Sounds like you made many fans.

Are you thinking of writing screenplays as well as novels?

cs harris said...

No, Shauna. No one over thirty has any chance in Hollywood these days. But I do like to use screenwriting techniques in my novels.

Charles Gramlich said...

I had really wanted to attend and if it hadn't been for that pesky IRB conference I would have. I'll definitely try for it next year.

Lana Gramlich said...

Glad you had a great time. :)

Unknown said...

Exactly when relating uneducated or insensible individuals begin gaining ground for them and start and start procuring guideline by http://www.fellowshippersonalstatement.com/medical-fellowship-personal-statement-services/pain-fellowship-personal-statement/ site then there would be a start of the progressing scene. As new educated or capable individuals zone unit coming to manufacture.

Dasi said...

A sort of reunion to bring the ideas being shared and the experiences being put here on the table to act upon for the rest of the life and the students as well.

Unknown said...

A perfect conference could change your mind and it could even help you to make plan for your future life and go into that way. click to explore that helps me a lot on my academic papers writing.

Unknown said...

In every admission test proper information about exam and institute is very important , many student failed in admission test due to lack of information . i read many article in your it really helpful for the admission students , this article will help the student who want to participate in Benue State University admission test this tear http://www.residencypersonalstatement.biz/help-with-otolaryngology-residency-personal-statement-writing/ you'll be find some helpful information about the academic writing service.

aliyaa said...

Hey i was looking for the writers conference as i have heard that this kinda conferences have lot of fun and knowledge. The writers seems to be so happy and confident so love their job. http://www.residencylor.com/residency-application-services/residency-cv/you must have this site too.

visit website said...

I'm just shocked to read this post. How it's possible? How can you do this? I really don't have any answer of this. But I'm sure that you are the best of this job. Really nice meeting this is.