Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Years Resolutions

Every year I list them. At times I’m tempted to give up the exercise as futile, but the truth is that once in a while, they work. Every year I resolve to eat better, exercise more, and lose weight. And you know what? Last year I did. What made the difference? I suspect it was the discovery the week before Christmas that a first cousin just two years my senior had stage three ovarian cancer. I looked up preventing cancer, and there it was: exercise, stay lean, eat well. Suddenly it was no longer just about vanity; it was about my health and being here for my girls (yes, I know they’re grown, but they still need their mother) and for Steve. As a result, my resolution this year is simply “keep exercising and eating well.” And by the way, my incredible cousin is still alive—in fact, she hosted the family’s Christmas Eve party.

So what else is on my list this year? Number One: Stop Procrastinating. I’m a terrible procrastinator. ‘Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow’ could be my motto. This was actually a late addition to my list, but when I realized that doing this one thing would probably help me accomplish most of the other things on the list, I gave it top billing.

Number Two: Get More Sleep. Since I’m a terrible insomniac, I’m still trying to figure out HOW to do this, but it’s my second priority.

Number Three: Keep a Cleaner House. Living first as a refugeee, then in a building zone after Katrina, I learned I could either tolerate mess or go insane. But what was once adaptive has become habitual. Enough is enough. Notice it does not say, “Keep a Clean House.” That’s asking too much for a writer with two book contracts. But cleaner would be, well, an improvement.

Number Four: Cook More. Pre-Katrina, Steve and I sat down to a proper home-cooked dinner most nights. Now, it’s rare. Typically, he’ll open a can of beans and I’ll have a fruit and yogurt smoothie. Yes, our nest is usually empty these days, but the occasional fish and veggie meal would be nice. I married a great cook, so this is really a joint resolution. He just doesn’t know it yet!

I thought about putting “Finish rebuilding the house” on the list, but I decided that would only raise my stress levels and work against #2, so I left it off. Hopefully #1 will help motivate me to at least paint the trim in my office. I realize that Numbers One, Three and Four will probably also work against Number Two. Ah, well. I’ll let you know at the end of the year how I did.

Thanks to all who wished me well. I'm feeling much better. Happy New Year to all!

13 comments:

Lisa said...

This is a good list and although I can't imagine what it must have been like to go through a disaster like Katrina, we moved across the country and back and were in three different places in two years and many of our pre-nomadic niceties have never resumed either (like great dinners with wine and candles every night -- etc.). Those things do make a difference! Good like and a very Happy New Year to you and your family!

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, sounds a bit extreme to me. All good ideas but all together? My main resolution is to stop wasting so much time on silly computer games.

Steve Malley said...

Good resolutions, and thoughtfully chosen. I'm not sure I have any this year...

virtual nexus said...

All the best for post viral/bacterial recovery - these things really knock the system, don't they; a lot of it this side of the pond this year as well.

I made headway with a phytoestrogen diet last year until a leg injury complicated cooking; found 'Healthy Eating for the Menopause' by Marilyn Glenville (many recipes)a very helpful insight across the board re cancer prevention. (May be on Amazon).

Agree its harder to keep routines once offspring have sprung! Have had to forge new ones...

One piece of advice I picked up for insomnia was - don't make lists at night. Activates the reticular functioning system of the brain and keeps you awake.

Cheers.

Lana Gramlich said...

Never underestimate the importance of getting sufficient sleep! Personally I only have one resolution; to do the best I can. Results may vary. <:\ Best to you & yours in '08!

Unknown said...

tn pas cher, ray ban uk, hollister pas cher, hogan, michael kors, north face, lacoste pas cher, new balance pas cher, air jordan pas cher, converse pas cher, nike huarache, burberry, sac longchamp, nike trainers, nike free, vans pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, longchamp pas cher, timberland, air max, air force, michael kors, true religion jeans, coach purses, vanessa bruno, nike free run uk, oakley pas cher, true religion jeans, sac guess, mulberry, hollister, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, replica handbags, hermes, nike air max, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, north face, nike roshe run, ralph lauren pas cher, lululemon, nike roshe, true religion jeans, michael kors, coach outlet, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher

Oanhtt said...

It’s really extraordinary and informational blog such a good thinking. It's in reality a great and useful piece of information. I'm glad you have this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
facebook chat login
facebook chat support

Anonymous said...

After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article.
Discount master by autoketing 2018, Discount master 2018, autoketing

Anonymous said...

friv10games club for kids, kizi-2018 online games, gogy xyz games free online
I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates
rally point 6 free , pixel escape onlineunblocked games , game climber online ,

Anonymous said...

Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information
cars simulator online , nighty knight best online games , fnaf world games to play ,

Huyen said...

Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post
free games online
jogos friv 4 school

LINH NGUYEN said...

As soon as I discovered this website I went on reddit to share some of the love with them. We stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I might check things out.
friv4school 2019
2player games to play
io jogos for school