Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Book With a Thousand Names

My fourth Sebastian St. Cyr book--still not quite finished--has been a Book in Search of a Name from the beginning. It's been through so many working titles that I can't keep track of them all. Where Dragons Sleep, Where Demons Sleep, Where Virgins Sleep/Lie--the list goes on and on.

This week I received an email from my editor. She said, "We need to decide on a name for this book." I thought the choice was between Where Virgins Sleep or Lie, But it seems the book went into their catalogue as WHERE SERPENTS SLEEP (I don't even remember that one), no one ever changed it, and she's decided she has issues with Virgins. No one has complained about the Serpents title, so, it's now official: WHERE SERPENTS SLEEP.

At this point I'm like, Whatever. Just pick a name! Although actually, I find I do like it.

On other fronts, I'm having a bad week. My new LG washing machine has broken down for the third time. Steve's car is in the shop, Sam's car is being towed this afternoon, and my sister is in town for a visit and my mother's birthday party is this Saturday. So I probably won' be sticking my head up again until next week.

9 comments:

Sphinx Ink said...

Actually, I like "serpents" in the title better than "virgins"--gives more of an aura of evil and danger, appropriate to the mystery.

Steve Malley said...

I like Serpents too.

I'm sure you'll be graceful under life's little pressures!

Angie said...

My sympathies. I usually end up coming up with a title about forty seconds before posting/sending/whatevering the story. [laugh/flail] My NaNo novel from last year still doesn't have a title and whatever I do for this year probably won't either.

Maybe that's another good reason to have an agent -- help with titles? :)

I like Where Serpents Sleep too, if you're collecting data.

Angie

Unknown said...

I prefer the serpents as the virgins suggests a harlequin to me.... good luck with your week.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like "Serpent's Sleep." I agree with Sphinx ink. There's some aura of threat there. Good luck with all the everyday hassles.

Lisa said...

Serpents for me too (although they scare the heck out of me), but I agree with Liz about the virgins :)

RK Sterling said...

Ah, well. Good luck with all you've got going on!

Shauna Roberts said...

I too like "serpents" better than "virgins."

Perhaps I should specify that that preference is for your book title.

Mr Abdullah Ibrahim said...

100% safe with us We Offer all types of Finance loans for immediate respond application
We provide personal loans Business Loans for debt consolidation, bad credit loans, unsecured loans, loans for bad credit and instant secured loans with cheap rates Do you have a firm or company that need loan to start up a business or need, personal loan, Debt consolidation? We will
provide you with loan to meet your needs.
Note: We offer the following loans to individuals-
*Commercial Loans.
*Personal Loans.
*Business Loans.
*Investments Loans.
*Development Loans.
*Acquisition Loans .
*Construction loans.
*Business Loans And many More:
and many more at 2% interest rate. For more information contact us. Email: email: abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
whatspp Number +918929490461
Mr Abdullah Ibrahim