Saturday, March 10, 2007

Rejected

We’ve heard back from one of the production companies considering THE ARCHANGEL PROJECT (sent out under the pseudonym Steven Graham), and it’s a bzzzzzz:

“While I think Steven's manuscript is filled with tension, it's also a bit more focused on conspiracy theories than on character development, which is a concern for us in terms of the type of material we're looking to develop.”

They’re right, of course; the story is definitely focused more on action than on character development. I don’t know if I’d have said it’s “focused on conspiracy theories,” but it certainly has a conspiracy in it. Hey, that’s what intelligence communities do; they conspire.

Rejections are always a bummer, and the rejections naturally come in first since it’s much quicker to reject something than to get a zillion people to agree to buy it. I’m still hopeful one of the other production companies will buy it, and my two favorites are still considering it. But I’ve also seen rejections come in fast and furious, so I know all may yet come to naught.

Crossing fingers here…

5 comments:

RK Sterling said...

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the other two companies.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sometimes it's hardest when they reject it for what the book is "supposed" to be. Very few thrillers have a focus on character development. The plot is often the main thing that brings people to these books.

Steve Malley said...

Eddie Campbell (FROM HELL) once told me that the movie folk were like the lottery. Nice to cash the cheque, but just a bonus all the same.

Still, nobody likes to hear 'no'...

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you. I will keep checking, via Google Reader, to see how things are going.

cs harris said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's hard!