Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Mystic Krewe of Barkus


This Mardi Gras parade is for the dogs. Literally. Actually, it’s for cats and other critters, too, but only dogs (and their people) are allowed to parade. The Mystic Krewe of Barkus is a fundraiser for the Louisiana Humane Society. First there’s a get-together (with music and food) in Armstrong Park, then a parade through the French Quarter. This year they had 1,000 dog entrants—so many they finally had to say, Sorry! We’re full! The event raised tens of thousands of dollars for the local Humane Society.

The King and Queen of Barkus are always “rescue dogs.” This year’s royalty were both Katrina dogs—the King was rescued only two months ago. Their Highnesses were treated to the traditional dinner of oysters Rockefeller and pork chops at Galatoire’s the Friday night before the parade.




The theme for this year’s parade was A Street Dog Named Desire, which inspired some wonderful costumes. The weather was chilly but sunny, the music and food were great, and a good time was had by all.

The New Orleans shelter was destroyed by Katrina, and as almost everyone must know, we’re still dealing with animals lost or orphaned by the storm. So if you want to donate, stop by their website here, or call 1-888-6-HUMANE to donate by phone.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

"A Street Dog Named Desire." LoL. This is one parade I didn't mind.

Anonymous said...

I was down for the weekend and caught Barkus. When I first heard about it, I thought it would be a cute doggie parade, no big deal. Little did I realize every dog within driving distance would descend on the FQ! And I didn't see one fight. Dog fight, that is.

I was also delighted to see that things aren't as bad as I had thought. I had girded myself for death, decay and destruction but found only a bit more blight than usual and lots of construction. That's Uptown to Marigny; the 9th Ward is still a no man's land.

And I just don't how those poor souls who got hit by the tornado last night are going to keep going.

Unknown said...

With Charles...still laughing at the theme. Hope they raises loads.

cs harris said...

Thank you, Elizabeth! It's wonderful to know I've given someone that kind of intense reading pleasure. And say hi to Trish!